Did you know that your home’s internal wiring draws current every time you switched on a light, fan or even your toaster? This is safe if you live in a house with new electrical wiring but can lead to problems if your house wiring is old or is damaged by heat, corrosion, age, bending, nails and screws.
Faulty light switch wiring can lead to overloading which in turn triggers a fire, and consecutive property damage, injuries and possible death. This can be prevented if you can recognize these seven warning signs suggesting it’s time you considered rewiring your home.
1. Check for loose connections as your home’s wiring may be loosely connected to your switches or outlets. All your switch plates and outlet covers should be in proper working condition, with a secure internal wiring. Any cracked or broken covers and plates should be replaced immediately to prevent any exposed and hazardous wiring.
2. Lights that tend to dim when you switch on a high-powered appliance like the washing machine or microwave shouldn’t be neglected. There is a chance that the lights go dim because the circuits or wiring cannot take the heavy load and are not safe to use with your modern day appliances.
3. Rewiring your home is practically a must if you notice smoke emitting from an outlet, appliance or baseboard as a fire usually follows the smoke. So once you notice smoke, the first thing to do is switch off all appliances and check for possible problems. It’s even better if you switch off the main circuit breaker until the problem is identified and resolved.
4. Do keep a watch on your home’s outlets and switches as they need to be cool when touched and not hot. Any signs of heat or scorch marks are signs of possible unsafe wiring.
5. Mice and rats may damage not only old but even new electrical wiring by chewing on them. So if you notice any droppings or any other signs of possible rodent presence at home, you not only have to call the pest control services but also thoroughly check your home’s wiring to ensure they haven’t damaged your wiring.
6. You KNOW you have a serious problem if you hear crackling, sizzling or buzzing noises from any home appliance, outlet or switch. Immediately switch off the point or appliance when this happens, and call a licensed electrician to assess the problem.
7. If the fuse trips wherein you constantly have to reset your circuit breakers whenever you switch on an appliance like the water heater or air conditioning unit, it may be because of an overloading of your circuits. This is when you need to consult your licensed electrician Melbourne to assess your circuit load and advise you about any changes to be made.
Remember, not only your paint, furniture and fixtures get dull and give wear and tear related problems over the years. Wear and tear also take its toll on your home’s internal electrical wiring system too.
It’s just that you can’t see the damage your wiring incurs as it’s all behind your walls. However, you can keep a lookout for these warning signs which suggest that it’s time you contacted your electrician, and considered rewiring your home!